This is a pretty event-heavy weekend. There is a heap of great music, bountiful craft and vintage events, and the opportunity to get dressed up as Santa and party.
- Anti-Freeze! Downtown Holiday Arts + Crafts Fair Engine, a community arts organization, brings Anti-Freeze!, an annual downtown holiday arts and craft fair to Biddeford. More that 30 artisans will sell their handmade work. The event occurs at the same time as Biddeford’s ArtWalk and Heart of Biddeford’s Downtown Holiday Festival with live music, sleigh rides, Santa’s visit, and a tree lighting ceremony. [180 Main St., 3 – 8 pm]Free Wine Tasting at Rosemont Market [Brighton Avenue] Rosemont will be holding a wine tasting with Ned Swain of Devenish Wines and his friend Warren Fraser, a singular importer of small-production, sustainably farmed wines of distinction. Mostly, but not only, from Italy. [Rosemont Brighton, 4 – 6:30 pm]
- The Rattlesnakes, Dead Trend, Brick Mower and Alex Keaton Local punk rockers The Rattlesnakes and noise-pop sampling duo aLex Keaton welcome Dead Trend and Brick Mower from New Jersey. Noisy, fun punk rock. [Mayo Street Arts, 7:30 pm, $5.00, all ages]
- Correspondences Farewell Show [Band member] Imogen is moving three thousand miles away and [band member] Lee already lives in Providence, so this last show will serve as a funeral of sorts. There will be a choir of evil angels and Eternal Otter is putting together a few copies of a farewell lathe-cut vinyl single. Wear black. [Zero Station, 8 – 11 pm]
- Santacon Portland, 2012 So far as I can tell from everything I saw last year, basically a bunch of people dress in Santa-inspired attire, roam the town and drink. It will start at Empire 4 pm and then spread throughout the town. In the event announcement, the organizers offered some tips for participants: Come in Costume: Its kinda the whole point. Don’t be “that guy” who shows up with only a Santa hat on. Be creative. If you’re not into Santa, come as some other holiday themed person or object. Pace Yourself: Santa likes to have a glass of water every now and then between his holiday beverages! With all those drink specials it’s going to be hard not to get a little too jolly, but don’t be “that” Santa. Santa reserves the right to deny that he knows you. Tip well, treat the bars well and pay your tab. And more. [Starts at Empire at 4:00]
- School of Seven Bells and Twin Sister with Moon King Shoegaze, goth-edged pop with harder, bass-heavy beats and dreamy indie rock. [SPACE Gallery, 8:00 pm, $12, $14 day of]
- Big Chill Holiday Arts, Crafts + Vintage Sale 30+ vendors for a day of shopping local. For more information and spotlights on each and everyone of our vendors, click here. [Mayo Street Arts, 10a – 4p]
- Tanja Hollander Pop up show + Holiday sale Please join Tanja Hollander at the June Fitzpatrick Gallery for a one day only pop up show. This unique mini retrospective will feature never before exhibited work, images from the Portland Museum of Art, small works, brand new landscapes and portraits, Polaroids and merchandise. Prices will be set on a sliding scale to be affordable for everyone, including large and small framed pieces ready to go for the holiday season. [June Fitzpatrick Gallery, 12 – 6 pm]